Spring Beekeeping Workshop

Spring Beekeeping Workshop
Demonstration Hive

Friday, September 14, 2012

Just give me the "Moon and Stars"



  When I was a little girl, my Mum used to sing a song to me about wanting the moon and stars to play with or the sun to run away with.  Little did I know that this variety of watermelon, called "Moon and Stars" would be the first type of watermelon to grow to maturity in my Connecticut garden.  I have planted several different types over the years but none matured to harvest size and taste in our growing season here.  Until the last few years, our average first frost came on September 15, but recently the seasons have been much longer.  In 2011 our first frost didn't arrive until mid-October.  No frost or cold weather this year yet.

We opened the first of 2 mature watermelons, weighing in at 27 lbs, last night and were amazed and joyful at the pink color and sweet, sweet taste of our very own watermelon.  We have harvested several honeydew melons this year that were nice but not super-sweet, so we were especially thrilled to have this choice melon.  Funny thing is we planted it in crummy soil off to the side of our field where it became overgrown with weeds and forgotten.  It wasn't watered at all during this exceptionally hot and dry season we had.  I almost fell over the melons, not realizing they were even there!
"Moon and Stars" Watermelon, an heirloom Amish variety from Missouri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment