Spring Beekeeping Workshop

Spring Beekeeping Workshop
Demonstration Hive

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

More on Late Blight

I just discovered that copper formulations are acceptable for organic growers and I'm going to get some to keep on hand. So far,my other garden areas of tomatoes and potatoes do not have late blight. That's good news but I'm still not optimistic because the fungal spores can travel up to 40 miles on air currents. But at least we can hope for a harvest of some kind before the other plants keel over.

One bit of good news - I just spoke with Dr. Balogh Botond, Plant Pathologist from the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, and he has assured me that the spores do not overwinter in the soil in Connecticut because of the cold winters. That means we do not have to avoid planting Solonaceous plants next year and keep the soil fallow. The only way to infect the garden again would be to plant infected potato tubers.

For those of you who don't live in the northeast United States, this will all be boring for you. I promise more interesting blogs soon. At the moment this is consuming me!

No comments:

Post a Comment